Cockington Green Gardens

Open 7 Days 9:30am - 5pm

Last Entry: 4:15pm

(02) 6230 2273
{ "moduleName": "webappitem", "name": "International Display", "url": "/exhibit/international-display", "description": "

International Display

\n
\n
\n

Cockington Green’s international display was established in the late 1990’s. This followed consideration of better utilisation of the land which previously was home to the small lake around which the miniature steam-train circled. There were many months of work involved in firstly draining the lake and then creating access to the new international display area underneath the miniature steam-train line.

\n

The process for developing the international display commenced with letters being written to all High Commissions and Embassies in Canberra. Those who responded where engaged in detailed discussions to negotiate which building would best represent their country, a time-frame within which to construct, and last, but not least, from where the funding for the display would come.

\n

Many of the early buildings in the International Display were supported via an Australian Government regional tourism funding initiative designed to assist in the development of the nation’s tourism infrastructure.

\n

Displays were established either with the full funding support provided by Governments of represented countries or in conjunction with their local communities and, in some cases, by the local communities themselves.

\n

Once the building selection and funding issues had been addressed, construction of the buildings started. The area around each building’s location was landscaped catering to its display needs, and to replicate as closely as possible and practical the landscape within which the original building was set.

\n
\n
\n

Upon building completion, Cockington Green often held inauguration ceremonies with the display host country where many of their dignitaries and people from their communities were invited to celebrate this special occasion.

\n

The early days of establishment of the international display gained momentum through wonderful relationships with people such as former Colombian Embassy Chargé d’affaires, Marylu Nicholls and her associates along with Mala Maree, a former official of the South African High Commission.

\n

There was also the infectious vibrancy of the former Slovak Ambassador, Dr. Anna Tureničová and the incredible enthusiasm of Indonesian Education and Cultural Attaché, Dr. Aria Djalil who made possible the historical Borobodur Temple display. This building was fully crafted in Indonesia and shipped to Canberra for display. Models from Lithuania and the Philippines have also been constructed off-site and shipped in for display.

\n

We continue to work closely with Embassies, High Commissions, community groups and governments from around the world to this day on expansion of the display, often having visiting people of note from these wonderful countries walking around the display admiring other country's buildings as well as their own.

\n
\n
", "releaseDate": "2018-02-22T00:00:00", "expiryDate": "9999-01-01T00:00:00", "lastUpdateDate": "2018-07-10T08:50:53.453", "classifications": "", "weight": 2, "commentCount": 0, "itemId": 1250942, "Image Caption": "", "Image": "/newsite/images/International-1_644px.JPG", "Excerpt": "

Cockington Green’s international display was established in the late 1990’s. This followed consideration of better utilisation of the land which previously was home to the small lake around which the miniature steam-train circled. There were many months of work involved in firstly draining the lake and then creating access to the new international display area underneath the miniature steam-train line.  

\n

The process for developing the international display commenced with letters being written to all High Commissions and Embassies in Canberra. Those who responded were engaged in detailed discussions to negotiate which building would best represent their country, a time-frame within which to construct, and last, but not least, from where the funding for the display would come.

", "urlWithHost": "http://cockingtongreen.com.au/exhibit/international-display", "globals": { "get": { "ID": "1250942", "A": "WebApp", "CCID": "14209", "Page": "3", "Items": "5" }, "cookie": { "visitorDeviceClass": "desktop", "ASP.NET_SessionId": "5uqg5o0ewith2hpqmzir2bbn" }, "site": { "id": 13830, "name": "Cockington Green Gardens", "host": "cockingtongreen.com.au", "countryCode": "AU", "language": "EN", "dateNow": "2018-12-12T07:43:58.0257505" }, "visitor": { "deviceClass": "desktop", "ip": "34.203.225.78", "country": "US", "city": "Ashburn", "userAgent": "CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/)", "referrer": "/" }, "cart": { "cartUrl": "/OrderRetrievev2.aspx?CatalogueID=0" }, "user": { "entityId": 0, "firstname": "", "middleName": "", "lastname": "", "fullname": "", "username": "", "email": "", "email2": "", "email3": "", "customerType": {}, "leadSourceType": {}, "industryType": {}, "ratingType": {}, "isWholesaler": false, "isLoggedIn": false } }, "contentholder_1": { "moduleName": "contentholder", "moduleDescriptor": { "templatePath": "/_System/ContentHolders/HTML Head.html", "parameters": "name=\"HTML Head\"", "apiEndpoint": "/api/v3/contentholder", "objectType": 19, "objectId": 45124, "adminUrl": "/Admin/ContentHolders_Detail.aspx?ContentHolderID=45124" }, "editableFieldTypes": { "id": "Id", "content": "Html" }, "id": 45124, "name": "HTML Head", "content": "\n\nCockington Green Gardens\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n\n", "params": { "name": "HTML Head" } }, "menu1": { "moduleName": "menu", "moduleDescriptor": { "templatePath": null, "parameters": "menuID=\"944197\",version=\"1\",collection=\"menu1\",template=\"\"", "apiEndpoint": "/api/v3/menu", "objectType": 21, "objectId": 944197, "adminUrl": "/Admin/Menus_Detail.aspx?MenuID=944197" }, "items": [ { "id": 420004, "parentId": -1, "label": "Home", "tooltip": "", "url": "/home-page", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "" }, { "id": 420005, "parentId": -1, "label": "Visit Us", "tooltip": "", "url": "/visit-us", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "", "items": [ { "id": 420006, "parentId": 420005, "label": "Admissions", "tooltip": "", "url": "/admissions", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "" }, { "id": 420007, "parentId": 420005, "label": "What's On", "tooltip": "", "url": "/whats_on", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "" }, { "id": 420008, "parentId": 420005, "label": "Contact", "tooltip": "", "url": "/contact", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "" }, { "id": 420982, "parentId": 420005, "label": "Conditions of Entry", "tooltip": "", "url": "/conditions-of-entry", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "120", "height": "20" } ] }, { "id": 420009, "parentId": -1, "label": "About", "tooltip": "", "url": "/about", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "", "items": [ { "id": 420010, "parentId": 420009, "label": "History", "tooltip": "", "url": "/history", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "" }, { "id": 420011, "parentId": 420009, "label": "Exhibits", "tooltip": "", "url": "/exhibits", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "", "items": [ { "id": 420012, "parentId": 420011, "label": "Original Display", "tooltip": "", "url": "/exhibit/original-display", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "" }, { "id": 420013, "parentId": 420011, "label": "International Display", "tooltip": "", "url": "/exhibit/international-display", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "" } ] }, { "id": 420014, "parentId": 420009, "label": "Gardens", "tooltip": "", "url": "/gardens", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "", "items": [ { "id": 420015, "parentId": 420014, "label": "Maintenance", "tooltip": "", "url": "/maintenance", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "" } ] }, { "id": 420016, "parentId": 420009, "label": "Shop & Cafe", "tooltip": "", "url": "/shop-cafe", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "" } ] }, { "id": 420017, "parentId": -1, "label": "Schools", "tooltip": "", "url": "/schools", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "", "items": [ { "id": 420019, "parentId": 420017, "label": "Model Construction", "tooltip": "", "url": "/model-construction", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "" }, { "id": 420020, "parentId": 420017, "label": "Model Figurines", "tooltip": "", "url": "/model-figurines", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "" } ] }, { "id": 420021, "parentId": -1, "label": "Train", "tooltip": "", "url": "/train", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "", "items": [ { "id": 420022, "parentId": 420021, "label": "Technical Information", "tooltip": "", "url": "/technical-information", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "", "height": "" } ] } ], "menuId": 944197, "params": { "menuID": "944197", "version": "1", "collection": "menu1", "template": "" } }, "menu_2": { "moduleName": "menu", "moduleDescriptor": { "templatePath": null, "parameters": "version=\"2\",menuId=\"944556\",moduleTemplateGroup=\"PageMenu\"", "apiEndpoint": "/api/v3/menu", "objectType": 21, "objectId": 944556, "adminUrl": "/Admin/Menus_Detail.aspx?MenuID=944556" }, "items": [ { "id": 420134, "parentId": -1, "label": "About", "tooltip": "", "url": "/about", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "parent-item page-nav__item", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "120", "height": "20" }, { "id": 420135, "parentId": -1, "label": "History", "tooltip": "", "url": "/history", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "page-nav__list", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "120", "height": "20" }, { "id": 420136, "parentId": -1, "label": "Exhibits", "tooltip": "", "url": "/exhibits", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "page-nav__list", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "120", "height": "20", "items": [ { "id": 420137, "parentId": 420136, "label": "Original Display", "tooltip": "", "url": "/exhibit/original-display", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "pagenav-submenu__list", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "120", "height": "20" }, { "id": 420138, "parentId": 420136, "label": "International Display", "tooltip": "", "url": "/exhibit/international-display", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "pagenav-submenu__list", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "120", "height": "20" }, { "id": 420139, "parentId": 420136, "label": "Rose Room", "tooltip": "", "url": "/exhibit/rose-room", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "pagenav-submenu__list", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "120", "height": "20" } ] }, { "id": 420140, "parentId": -1, "label": "Gardens", "tooltip": "", "url": "/gardens", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "page-nav__list", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "120", "height": "20", "items": [ { "id": 420141, "parentId": 420140, "label": "Garden Maintenance", "tooltip": "", "url": "/maintenance", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "pagenav-submenu__list", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "120", "height": "20" } ] }, { "id": 420142, "parentId": -1, "label": "Shop & Cafe", "tooltip": "", "url": "/shop-cafe", "targetFrame": "", "image": "", "imageOver": "", "imageSelected": "", "idName": "", "css": "page-nav__list", "cssOver": "", "cssSelected": "", "width": "120", "height": "20" } ], "menuId": 944556, "params": { "version": "2", "menuId": "944556", "moduleTemplateGroup": "PageMenu" } } }

International Display

INDIA - LAHORE GATE, THE RED FORT, DELHI

Location:  Delhi

Sponsored by: High Commission of India (Website)

With funding assistance from Aus-Industry Australian Tourism Development Program.

Model Construction by:  Cockington Green Gardens

Scale: 1:50

Construction Time:  1200 hours

Display History:

Lahore Gate is the main entrance to the UNESCO World Heritage Listed Red Fort lying on Delhi’s Yamuna River. The fort’s origins go back to 1639 as the palace of the fortified capital of Shahjahanabad established by the fifth Mughal Emperor, Shah Jahan. Shahjahanabad was what is present day Old Delhi. Construction of the fort was completed on 6th April 1648 as designed by architect, Ustad Ahmad Lahauri who is also believed to be the main architect of the Taj Mahal. 

Shah Jahan had decided to move his original capital city from Agra to Lahore at the time the Red Fort was commissioned. The original fort was red and white which were the favourite colours of the Shah and it enjoyed both a colourful and turbulent existence in the years until British occupation from 1857. Until the arrival of Lord Curzon, Viceroy of India between 1899-1905, the fort suffered considerable damage and theft. Fortunately, Lord Curzon oversaw the fort’s considerable restoration and return to prominence. 

On 15th August 1947, newly independent India’s first Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, raised the Indian National Flag above Lahore Gate at the Red Fort. Since then, the Prime Minister of the day has raised a flag and given a nationally broadcast speech to celebrate Independence Day.

Did you know:

World Heritage Listed:  2007

Time taken to construct:  8 years, 10 months, 25 days

Property Size:  49.18ha

Population of India:  1.36 billion

INDONESIA - BOROBUDUR TEMPLE

Location:  Kedu Valley, Java

Sponsored by:  Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia (in conjunction with Garuda Airlines)

Model Construction by:  Mr Wahyu Indrasan & Mr Lukito

Scale: 1:100

Construction Time:  Unknown

Display History:

Simply breathtaking in scale and appearance, Borobudur Temple is the largest Buddhist monument in the world. This Buddhist stupa in the Mahayana tradition is said to be the most complex building in the world and took 75 years to construct being completed under the reign of Samaratungga in 825AD during the Sailendra Dynasty. 

The Temple is constructed with around 55,000 square metres of lava rock and built in the form of a lotus, the sacred flower of Buddha. Borobudur began to gain significant profile from 1814 through the efforts of Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles when Java was under British rule. 

Borobudur Temple was used as a Buddhist Temple from its 8th and 9th century construction period until it was abandoned somewhere between the 10th and 15th centuries until its rediscovery and resurrection under Raffles in the early 19th century. The Indonesian Government and UNESCO undertook the most significant restoration project of the Temple between 1975 and 1982 which preceded UNESCO World Heritage Listing.

Did you know:

World Heritage Listed:  1991

Period of construction:  750AD-825AD

Temple footprint:  2,520m2

Buddhism:  Practised by around 500 million people worldwide

IRAN - PALACE OF DARIUS, PERSEPOLIS

Location:  Marvdasht, Fars Province

Sponsored by:  Embassy of the Islamic republic of Iran (Website)
With funding assistance from Aus-Industry Australian Tourism Development Program.

Model Construction by:  Cockington Green Gardens

Scale: 1:18

Construction Time:  1000 hours (approx)

Display History:

Persepolis, approximately 50km north-west of Shiraz, is considered to be among the world’s greatest archaeological sites with its origins dating back 2,500 years to around 518 B.C. when founded by Darius the Great, the Achaemenid Empire’s king. Darius (522-486 B.C.), his son Xerxes (486-465 B.C.) and grandson Artaxerxes (465-424 B.C.) built the Mesopotamian model-inspired palatial complex on an immense half natural, half artificial terrace. 

Designed primarily as a showplace and spectacular centre for the receptions and festivals of kings and their empire, Persepolis was indeed the seat of government of the Achaemenid Empire. Around 100 years after the completion of Persepolis, Alexander the Great orchestrated the annexing of Persia and the capture of Persepolis as he set about his unprecedented military campaigns throughout Asia and Northern Africa. His assault on Persepolis ultimately saw widespread looting of the complex by his troops and much destruction, mainly caused by fires. 

Grey limestone, mud-brick and cedar are the main materials used in the construction of this wonderous World Heritage Listed site. To safeguard this incredibly valuable site, constant monitoring ensures that negative impacts from nearby developments and habitation do not detract from the Outstanding Universal Value, integrity and authenticity of ancient Persepolis. 

 Did you know: 

 World Heritage Listed:  1979 

 Site area:  12.5ha 

 Nearest major city:  Shiraz (1.5 million people)

ISRAEL - MASADA

Location:  20km east of Arad, Southern District of Israel

Sponsored by: Embassy of Israel to Australia
(Click through to Embassy website)

Model Construction by:  Cockington Green Gardens

Recognised by:  UNESCO inscribed Masada on the World Heritage list in 2001

Scale:  1:35

Construction Time:  1000 hours

Display History:

Masada is considered to be a poignant symbol of the continuing human struggle between oppression and liberty. This struggle is evidenced throughout the history of the site, most notably after Judaea became a province of the Roman Empire and the last survivors of the Jewish revolt chose death rather than slavery when the Roman besiegers broke through their defences during the first Jewish-Roman War of 66 A.D. to 74 A.D. 

Masada was founded and first fortified by Hasmonean ruler, Alexander Jannaeus in the first century B.C. Between 37 and 31 B.C., the Judaean king, Herrod the Great, constructed a sumptuous palace on the dramatic site atop the naturally fortified plateau overlooking the Dead Sea. The palace complex of classical Roman style was an example of outstanding opulent architectural design. 

The capacity for innovation in sustaining occupation of such a difficult site is found in the complex water system that was particularly sophisticated. It was capable of collecting rain water run-off from a single day’s rain to sustain life for a thousand people for two to three years allowing the transformation of this barren, isolated and arid hilltop into a lavish royal retreat. 

This World Heritage Listed site is of immense importance to Jewish cultural identity. The miniature display of this revered site was inaugurated on 18 May 2011 by His Excellency, Mr. Yuval Rotem, Ambassador of Israel to Australia.

Did you know:

World Heritage Listed:  2001

Site area:  276ha

Protection:  Picnicking and commercial activity prohibited on the summit

Visitation:  1.25 million people visit Masada annually


JORDAN - THE TREASURY (EL KHAZNEH) PETRA

Location:  Petra

Sponsored by:  The Ayash family, Ayoub Supply Company and the Jordanian Community of Sydney.
With funding assistance from Aus-industry Australian tourism development program.

Model Construction by:  Cockington Green Gardens

Scale: 1:50

Construction Time:  1200 hours

Display History:

Petra is one of the world’s great historical sites laced with centuries of incredible stories of human habitation and creation. Confirmation of its great importance is found in UNESCO’s description of the ancient city as “one of the most precious cultural properties of man’s cultural heritage”. 

Al Khazneh is Petra’s most famous edifice whose function during Nabataean times remains largely unknown although believed to have been the mausoleum of the Nabatean King, Aretas IV Philopatris in the 1st century AD. Carved out of sandstone rockface, the structure is some 50 metres high and 30 metres wide and is seen as one of the most elegant remains of antiquity. The interior is surprisingly small although its persona is huge. Movie buffs will immediately recognize this spectacular site from the movie, “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade”. 

The name of Al Khazneh (The Treasury) is purported to have come from Bedouins in the early 19th century believing the structure contained treasures. The model at Cockington Green Gardens was sponsored by the Ayash family, the Ayoub Supply Company and Jordanian Community of Australia, along with the support of the Australian Government’s tourism development program.

Did you know:

World Heritage Listed:  1985

Site area:  264km2

No. of monuments in Petra:  80

Petra rediscovered:  1812 by Johann Ludwig Burckhardt