Getting ready for spring to arrive means a few hours of work is needed to get your garden looking its best at this great time of year. We are currently pruning our roses at Cockington Green Gardens to promote a spectacular display from these beautiful plants. Here are a few of our tips to help you ensure a good showing of flowers.
Gardening Tips for Roses
Cockington Green - August 10, 2018
• Make sure you dead head your roses regularly as this promotes more flowers.
• Monthly Spraying with a fungicide for things like Blackspot.
• Sanitize your secateurs to prevent the spread of disease.
• Apply a fertilizer with more phosphorus and potassium, this will promote flower & root growth.
• Hold back on using nitrogen as this promotes vigorous leaf and stem growth. Growth in these areas will take away from your bloom’s growth.
• Avoid overhead irrigation whenever possible, it encourages fungal activity. When pruning take 30% off the plant to promote a second flush of flowers.